1. Tell us a little about yourself.
I am an introvert, Starbucks addict, M&M fiend, wife to my college sweetheart, mother of three, work-from-homer, midwestern girl at heart living in SoCal, and super multi-tasker.
2. In your About page you say, "In all that we do, we desire for women to use their passions for a purpose, to inspire women to be authentic, to be life-giving and to encourage one another. We want women to know that they are enough…”In what ways do you do this?
Through the features in the magazine, we hope we are giving women the resources and inspiration they need to begin or grow their business/dreams as well as encouraging them to connect with one another. Through our presence on social media, we try to encourage authenticity and vulnerability by exhibiting it ourselves in order to provide a platform for others to feel free to do the same.
3. When & Why Did You Start Belong Magazine? // Where Did The Name “Belong” Come From & Why Did You Choose That?
Belong started when my career in healthcare management, working for my family’s business, came to an end as the business was sold. I took some time to think about what it was I would do if I could choose anything. Through a lot of reflection, reading and writing, Belong came to the surface.
After a couple of failed blogs in an attempt to find my place and my people, I was very frustrated because it didn’t happen. So ultimately, I founded Belong Magazine out of my desire for community--a desire to encourage women to use their voices and be confident in their value, a hope for women to use the screen in front of them to connect beyond that screen, to discover “their place” and find “their people”. As a print and digital publication, I wants Belong to serve as a map directing women to one another.
Belong was a word I’d carried around in my back pocket for several years, I just didn’t know what form it was supposed to take on. When the idea of a magazine surfaced, the word was there and it was just right! We all want to know that we matter, that we have a place, that we belong.
4. What responses have you received since it began?
The response has been incredibly encouraging. So many people resonate with the concept of the magazine, but not only that, they like having something concrete to hold in their hands.
5. What Are Some Of The Biggest, Most Exciting Opportunities You've Had Thus Far?
The opportunity to have the magazine on the shelves at Barnes & Noble has been amazing. On a day to day basis, I am honored and humbled to work with some really talented women entrepreneurs and creatives.
6. Do you have any plans for Belong in 2017 that we can be looking forward to?
We are looking to plan a couple of events, expand our online community and resource guide, and there might be a special issue in there somewhere (wink wink)
7. Last question! What is the highlight of your day?
I’ll be totally honest. My favorite moment of the day is getting into bed! Besides the fact that I love my sleep, there is just something rewarding about finishing the day.
Interview by Joette Orndorff